relativereferenceframe asked: I gotta say, as somebody who really enjoys this blog, I'm disappointed in your tweets about Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman. If you want to talk IMDB, Lynda Carter only has 2 credited roles on her IMDB page predating Wonder Woman. Why not give Gal a chance to prove herself?
I’ve had a lot of people call me out on my comment regarding Gal Gadot’s resume. I can see their point. Certainly and actress who hasn’t worked very much in film in their career could be a good actress. I’ve seen her work and certainly I don’t think she’s bad. But I also don’t think I’ve seen the range and experience that I’d like to see.
I think everyone can agree that the casting of Wonder Woman is hugely important. While there have been multiple Batman movies and multiple Superman movies, in 75 years there has never been a live action Wonder Woman movie. A few years ago when Brandon Routh didn’t work out, they just went and cast another actor. And we got another Superman movie. When Eric Bana didn’t work as Hulk, they went and got another actor. And when Norton didn’t work out they got another actor.
I think anyone who knows the way it is with women in Hollywood and big budget movies it just doesn’t work that way.
Lynda Carter didn’t have much experience. And she was fantastic. But that was another place and time. A TV program in the 70s is not a big screen movie. The stakes were not as high.
Maybe I’m naive. Maybe I’m just too gun shy but I honestly believe that Wonder Woman has one shot on the big screen. This casting will help determine that. That’s a lot of pressure.
Do you think it is fair to want an actress that you know will kill the part?An actress you know has shown the range, the work, the ability?
When Hathaway was cast as Catwoman, there was a lot of people who didn’t like her. But you knew her work and you could tell she could act.
Same with Adams.
Same with Scarlett Johanson.
Oh you might not like them. You might not even think they’re very good actors.
But there is certainly a lot of work to evaluate them by.
As far as I’m concerned my hope was for the BEST actress possible to play Wonder Woman.
One indicator of a good actress to me would be a CV showing range and regular work.
Certainly others could feel that wasn’t a concern.
Gal Gadot may turn out to be a great Wonder Woman.
She may have range and talents that we haven’t seen.
She may have not gotten work despite being a great actress because of other reasons.
That’s a lot of assumptions. Some may be satisfied with that. Some may feel she looks the part and that’s enough. Some may think that what they’ve seen of her acting is enough.
It’s take 75 years to put Wonder Woman on the big screen.
If this doesn’t work, you’re not likely to see another try for awhile.
You can disagree but I was hoping for a slam dunk sure bet.
re: Once Upon A Time 114, "Dreamy"
- me: Whoever is responsible for the fairies' costume design needs to be fired. Twice.
- me: WHAT THE FUCK DWARVES HATCH FROM EGGS!?
- Shayla: Ooh my god you're on that episode hahaha
- Shayla: Yes dwarves are all men and hatch from eggs do not ask where those come from
- Shayla: Or who is responsible for the fairies
- Shayla: We ignore the fairies as best we can
- me: THE EGGS ARE FUCKING HUGE. WHO THE FUCK LAYS THEM
- Shayla: WHAT DID I JUST SAY ABOUT QUESTIONING THE EGGS!?
'Fess Up! Fandom Humiliation
- 1. What's the worst fanfic you've ever written/have thought about writing?
- 2. Admit to a kink you're ashamed you like.
- 3. Copy paste a line from the first smutty fanfic you wrote or fess up to a sexual fantasy you have about a character.
- 4. Have you ever read or written RPS/RPF?
- 5. Most shameful ship?
- 6. Ever been at the center of fandom drama?
- 7. What is your fandom guilty pleasure?
- 8. Share something you did in fandom that you're embarrassed about.
- 9. Describe the first time you read a smutty fanfic. What ship was it and what kinks were involved?
- 10. Any fandoms you'd hate to admit you were a part of?
- 11. Just how often do you think about your favorite characters getting down and dirty?
- 12. Someone found your delicious account/bookmarks/AO3 account or however you keep track of your favorite fics. What's the one fic you're going to be most humiliated about?
- 13. Ever been caught reading smut/writing smut/drawing smut/looking at smutty drawings?
- 14. What would your parent/guardian/family friend think if they saw your tumblr?
- 15. Oh shit you croaked without getting rid of the fandom stuff you saved to your computer. What's your next of kin or friend going to find when they turn on your computer?